Dear Disney Plus,
In the middle of May, fans of Percy Jackson got some special news. We learned that we were going to get an adaptation of the Percy Jackson books. Now, I’m sure that to some of you, it’s an opportunity to make a series based off of some pretty popular books.
The thing is, this series means so much to so many people all over the world, and it is really important that you put an effort into making this series faithful to the books.
I understand that the series can’t be 100% the same as the books; it’s a completely different process. However, the Percy Jackson series is already so successful, and so amazing, that I don’t see the need to change major plot points.
The Lightning Thief is the very first book in the series Percy Jackson and the Olympians. It is so much more than just a story that a few people have read, however. The book that sets off our adventures in the world of demigod summer camps, gods who need to work on their parenting and the two half bloods who we know as Wise Girl and Seaweed Brain.
When we read this book and the many that follow it, we are plunged into a world of gods, of demigods, and most of all, fantastical adventures with characters who are as real as anything.
That’s why it’s so important that you do a good job with the series. The books mean so much to so many people, we would love to see it get the adaptation that it deserves.
So, that is why I have a list of a few things that I would love to see in the adaptation:
- A million of our favorite Percabeth moments, like “you drool when you sleep,” and the tunnel of love, and most importantly, the most amazing underwater kiss of all time
- I want to see Nico di Angelo’s character grow and evolve throughout the books. When we first see him, he is a ten year old kid who’s obsessed with Mythomagic, but as time goes on, he really changes. I love watching his character develop throughout the books and the series.
- Silena Beauregard leading the Ares cabin into battle. This is such a beautiful moment in the Last Olympian, and I really want to see it.
- The scene at the Hoover dam. All those dam jokes are so dam funny!
- Everything about Zoë Nightshade. From her complaining that English changes too often (ha!) and ‘I can see the stars again my lady,’ her character is so beautiful, it must be done well.
- Percy and Annabeth are 12 years old when they’re thrown into the quest to save the world. Cast 12 year olds to play 12 year olds.
- Speaking of casting 12 year olds to play 12 year olds, let’s not forget that in The Last Olympian, in that amazing scene with Hestia, the goddess appears as a young girl, about 12 years old.
- And in that theme, let’s talk about Artemis. She appears as about the age of her hunters; twelve or thirteen, so in the series, she should look that old. I know that it would be hard because while Artemis is immortal, the actress who will play her is not, but still.
- Rachel Elizabeth Dare should be a complex character and vital to the plot, since she is in the books. We should first see her at the Hoover dam, and then have her reapear later on.
- Rainbow and the other hippocampi! Or, as Tyson calls the sea creatures, fish ponies! I really want to see that a part of the book.
- Sally Jackson is amazing. Her character, everything she does… it’s remarkable. What she does to protect her son, how she puts up with Gabe, she is so strong, and I want to see that in the series.
- I really want to see Percy turn into a hamster. It’s just something that I want to see. And if we get a glimpse of Reyna and Hylla in the background there, that would be nice as well.
- Grover dressed as a bride, Annabeth posing as nobody, and Clarisse jumping in to, how do I say this nicely, screw everything up.
- If the dodgeball game with the Lastrygonian giants was included, that would be nice too. I love that scene so much, and it’s where we first meet Tyson.
- I kind of can’t wait to see Dionysus. Mr. D. The wine dude. Whatever. Really though, his character is so hilarious and he makes Camp Half Blood all that more welcoming.
- Last but definitely not least, Camp Half Blood! Camp Half Blood is such a special place, and I really hope that it’s recreated in a good way.
Those are just a few of the many things that I could put here. But, I hope that this gives an idea on how much this adaptation means to mean and to so many others.
I know that it is unlikely that anyone even remotely involved in the making of the series will see this, but if you do, I hope this is helpful in some way.